CV/Resumé and Business Information
You may also consult my LinkedIn profile. Currently employed, I do not offer freelance services at this time.
Place of birth: Springfield, Oregon, USA
Based in Nice, France since 2000
- Germinal Casado: Danza Viva. Nice, France: France Europe Editions Livres (FEEL), November 2006. English translation.
- "An Insider's Nice." Jack, Italy: Gruner and Jahr/Mondadori, July 2005 issue (JK059). 1300-word article for this lifestyle and technology magazine.
- The Everything French Phrase Book. USA: Adams Media, December 2004. Copyediting: verification of both the English and French. ISBN: 1593371446
- Olive Trees Under Every Angle. Nice, France: France Europe Editions Livres (FEEL), August 2004. English translation (original title: L'Olivier dans tous ses états). ISBN: 2-84825-081-X
January 2006 - present: Senior Technical Writer, Sopra Group, France
Sopra Group is an information technology and business services company with approximately 20,000 employees worldwide. In addition to the projects for clients detailed below, I also provided individual and group training and advice on English and cross-cultural issues for Sopra colleagues throughout southeastern France. Otherwise, written and verbal communication are in French.
Technical skills and tools used:
- MS Office, OpenOffice, Adobe RoboHelp, Adobe FrameMaker, Adobe Photoshop, The Gimp
- DejaVu, Trados and WordFast (translation software)
- Oracle, DB2, and SQL
- Mercury/HP Quality Center (testing suite) and Selenium (Firefox plugin for test automation)
- UIUC's Firefox Accessibility Extension, the Web Accessibility Tools (WAT) Consortium toolbar, SortSite accessibility evaluation software
CAF.fr (French national welfare website), February 2009 - present: In charge of the technical aspects on a project to overhaul the CAF.fr website in order to meet new French government accessibility regulations. Analyzed W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, applicable French government regulations, and client specificities to produce a single synthesis document organized by point. Evaluated, implemented, tested, and validated each point for the site's static and dynamic pages.
SFR (major telecoms provider), September 2008 - February 2009 and April - July 2007: Coordinated two French to English telecoms application translation projects. For each, recruited and managed a 12-person team of translation contractors. Estimated workloads; defined and monitored schedules in collaboration with the clients; managed client feedback; evaluated translations; created, researched, and maintained the client-specific glossaries and translation memories; performed quality control. Met deadlines, obtained and maintained client satisfaction.
Air France, July 2007 - September 2008: As test consultant on Air France's Sophia Antipolis site, analyzed specifications and environments to advise on testing strategies, then wrote and performed tests and test campaigns. Projects included GVStar, their sales management application; MSK, their flight regulation application; Squale, an open-source qualimetry application (www.squale.org); and ADHSimul, a "stub" program that simulates the interface services between Air France and external applications. With regard to Sopra, supervised the three-person Sopra team and gave regular reports to our Air France account manager, quality manager, and business unit director.
Schneider Automation, January 2006 - April 2007: As part of a ten-person team of technical writers in charge of 60 manuals for Schneider PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers; 80 manuals total), coordinated sub-projects and teams of three to six. Gathered requirements from Schneider teams in France, Germany and the United States, interviewed Schneider engineers, tested PLC equipment. Drew up work instructions, estimated workloads, supervised teams, performed quality control in French and in English. Projects included an overhaul of the index for all 80 manuals, analysis of user feedback with modifications as necessary, and DTP (DeskTop Publishing) for the 80 manuals in the six languages published by Schneider (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Chinese).
While at Sopra, I also assisted translation of the ISTQB (International Software Testing Qualifications Board) "Advanced" syllabus from English into French: French translation, with credits.
June 2000 - December 2005: Freelance translator and editor, France
French to English translations and editing of English-language documents. Majority of work done for the Paris-based agency Eurotexte, editing FR-EN translations, as well as English documents translated from other languages (mainly Finnish and Japanese). US, UK and International English. Clients include multinationals, non-profit organizations and international bodies, among others. IT, internet (websites),telecoms, tourism, music; also financial, marketing and various technical (nuclear, medical, biology, optics).
For Sopra Group - Sophia Antipolis: translated two websites (one tourism, the other for a youth employment agency), technical documents (application management), various correspondence and resumés/CVs of Sopra employees.
October 1998 - June 2000: Amnis T:mi, FinlandFreelance English teacher. Advanced and intermediate business and technical English courses for CEOs and managers at IDO Bathroom Oy, engineers from Nokia, and employees at the Finnish Meteorological Institute. Beginning and intermediate French courses for IDO (present in France under the brand name Allia), as well as cross-cultural courses in American and French cultures. Instructed individuals and groups of up to ten.
September 1997 - June 1998: Oregon University System (France)
Work-study student for the Centre Oregon, Universite Lyon II. Word processing (MS Word 95/6.0 for Win and Mac) in English and French, was partially responsible for researching and confirming the American equivalencies of French courses.
- 1998, B.A. French, University of Oregon, USA. Magna cum laude (high honors). One year direct exchange at the Université Lyon II, France (1997-98).
- Minor in Music Performance (piano and saxophone).
- Robert J. Snyder Academic Scholarship for 1997-98. Overall GPA: 3.81/4.0, Major GPA: 3.9/4.0
- English: native language.
- French: studied and practiced since 1988. Bilingual.
- Finnish: two years in Finland, self-taught.
- Japanese: 3 years, self-taught. Can read at an intermediate level and speak at basic conversational level.
- Italian and Russian: one year at university (both)
- Mandarin Chinese: 6 months, self-taught.
- Current configurations: Desktop PC with AMD Sempron 2800+ processor (2.8Ghz), 1Gb RAM, DVD/CD drive (CD-RW), running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala). Toshiba Satellite laptop with Pentium 4 processor (3.06 GHz), DVD/CD drive (DVD-RW and CD-RW), running Windows XP. Permanent ADSL 2+ connection. Office suites: MS Office XP (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and OpenOffice. Adobe Acrobat. Image editor: The Gimp.
Wikipedia, June 2003 - present. Copyediting, translation and writing for Wikipedia, where I go by Fraise.
grep sailormoon*, October 1999 - December 2002, and December 2006 - June 2007. Head of translations, and in charge of the French part of the site. grep sailormoon* is a fan site for the Japanese anime/manga series "Sailor Moon", dedicated to a virtual community concept that is free and open. I led a team of 10 translators, moderated forums and managed files (announcements, FAQs, file icon images, etc.).